Palazzo dei Principi is the symbolic building of the correggese Renaissance. Francesca of Brandeburg, widow of the Earl Borso da Correggio, ordered its construction which ended in 1508.
Its peculiar architecture suggests the influence of the ferrarese culture and in particular of Biagio Rossetti, who was the city planner of the Este Family. Notable elements of the palace are the Istrian marble portal whit grotesqueries and some rooms decorated in fresco, among which the one on the first floor with the frieze called del Nettuno.
Now it is the seat of Public Library as well as of the Civic Museum. On the top floor of the Palace there are the historical archives.