The Natural History Civic Museum of Piacenza is located in the Ex-Fabbrica del Ghiaccio in the Municipal Slaughterhouse, build from 1892 to 1912.
This building have a plan of 2000 metres square which have exhibition rooms, didattic organized labs, an exhibition sector and a room for film.
The layout is designed to arouse the curiosity and surprise that often characterizes nature excursions.
Three wide exhibition rooms host three natural spaces in which is divided the territory: plains, hills and mountains.
The exhibit can largely be visited "from the inside"; visitors have direct contact with exhibits and models, and traditional display cases are kept to a minimum.