Visit Emilia proposes an en plein air itinerary to admire statues and sculptures placed in magnificent public spaces and unexpected places.
THE TALKING STATUES AND THE 'SENTIERO D'ARTE' (PARMA)
In May 2019, in Parma, the statues began to speak.
From the Sileno Group located in the Ducal Park, to Giuseppe Verdi sitting in front of the Music's House in Piazzale San Francesco, there are 16 sculptures to which the Talkingteens project has given voice.
Created with the involvement of 350 high school students, the initiative allows the statues to communicate directly with tourists and passers-by thanks to QR Code, app and smartphone: the instructions placed near the monument explain how to receive an explanatory phone call with the history of its realization, with lots of historical details, anecdotes and biographical events.
The indications are also in Braille, while calls can be heard in Italian, English or, sometimes, in Parmesan dialect.
Leaving Parma, 'Sentiero d'Arte' (Art Trail) is designed to enhance the territory of Langhirano.
Starting from the Benedictine Abbey towards the Castle of Torrechiara by Pier Maria Rossi, until you reach the village of Langhirano, the widespread museum integrates into an intact landscape and marked by the wavy course of the ancient Canal of San Michele.
The contemporary artists selected for the project have created works of strong intellectual and poetic value that, respecting the specific environmental situation, interpret lights and atmospheres.
MOCHI AND MIMMO PALADINO HORSES (PIACENZA)
Among the most famous symbols of the city of Piacenza, the two bronze equestrian monuments made in the 17th century by the sculptor Francesco Mochi da Montevarchi are so important to have determined the name of Piazza dei Cavalli.
Resting on white Carrara marble bases, the statues of Alessandro and Ranuccio I Farnese are absolute masterpieces of Baroque art, embellished with elements such as plaques, 16 harmonious 'putti', decorations, coats of arms and, above all, the bas-reliefs depicting the Allegories of Peace and Good Government and some scenes from the war fought by Alexander himself in Flanders.
Until 28 February 2021, the two resident artworks will dialogue with the monumental installation made by Mimmo Paladino, composed of 18 fiberglass horses, inspired by funerary models of Etruscan origin.
Contained by and in a quadrangular base of twelve meters per side, the contemporary sculptures of the artist from the italian region Campania seem to emerge from an ephemeral dimension to illuminate with their temporary appearance two amazing examples of human creativity.
FROM ROMAN FUNERARY ART TO CONTEMPORARY DANCES (REGGIO EMILIA)
They would be monuments even if they were not statues but the fact remains that Don Camillo and Peppone, or rather their bronze versions, are the protagonists of the umpteenth and endless meeting in Piazza Matteotti in Brescello, the village where Giovannino Guareschi set all the events of the strange couple.
The mayor is on the town hall side and the priest on the church side, the two sculptures made by Andrea Zangani made their appearance in 2001, in memory of the 50 years since the first film of the saga.
Among the most interesting expressions of the Roman funerary relief in northern Italy, the Monument to the Concords is a rectangular enclosure found in Boretto in 1929 and repositioned in the Gardens of Reggio Emilia the following year: made of 'botticino' marble, the work is presumably an artifact of the first century A.D. and intended to emphasize the prestige of some illustrious citizens of the community of Brescello.
Also in Reggio Emilia, the Araba Fenice by Luciano Fabro and the Danza di Astri and Stars by Eliseo Mattiacci are unmissable, both - respectively located in the courtyard of the University and in the green area of the Aterballetto Foundation - included in the project "Invitation to..." which led four internationally renowned contemporary artists to dialogue with the city’s spaces.
From the Ducal Palace of Rivalta, where it was part of the ornamental complex of the Villa, comes instead the Statue of Crostolo, which from 1802 show herself in the central Piazza Prampolini.
The inauguration of the marble statue of Carrara by Lazzaro Spallanzani in Scandiano dates back to 12 November 1888, in the square that, from that moment on, took the name of the illustrious scientist.
By Guglielmo Fornaciari, the sculpture shows the researcher intent on observing with the magnifying glass a frog, made by Vasco Montecchi.
Born in 1729, the naturalist is the most famous citizen of the municipality and is also considered a precursor of virology.