The Terme Berzieri, a world symbol.
The Terme Berzieri were built starting in 1914 by the architect Ugo Giusti, who introduced the Florentine artist Galileo Chini to Salsomaggiore Terme. A painter, decorator and ceramist, Chini was at the height of his international success: he was engaged as the official decorator of the Venice Biennale and commissioned by the King of Siam to create the decorations for the Throne Palace in Bangkok.
Oriental influences marked his work at the Berzieri Thermal Baths, where he signed the two paintings on the walls of the central staircase, and also in other buildings in the city, such as the Grand Hôtel des Thérmes (now the Palazzo dei Congressi).
The inauguration of the spa complex, named after the doctor Lorenzo Berzieri who was the first to realise the therapeutic potential of Salsomaggiore's water, took place on 27 May 1923, and it was immediately recognised as a symbol of thermalism in the world.